Manager, Member Programs, New York
Step Up is a national nonprofit membership organization whose mission it is to propel girls from under-resourced communities to fulfill their potential by empowering them to become confident, college-bound, career-focused, and ready to join the next generation of professional women.
Step up leverages our professional women members who give back as donors, teen mentors and
volunteers to make our local communities and the Step Up programs a success.
We believe all girls should have the opportunity to fulfill their potential and do so by inspiring women to inspire girls through programs that engage and connect.
- Take Pride in Involvement. Be Inspired by and for Each Other. Take the Long View. Celebrate Success. Innovate. Take Action. Trust Teamwork. Amplify our Message.
This position reports to the local office's Managing Director.
The Manager, Member Programs engages in fundraising and volunteer management to support organizational sustainability and growth through membership/donor cultivation and retention, and implements programs that rally the Step Up community around the mission while supporting Step Up's programming for teen girls. A summary of responsibilities include:
Membership Development & Management
- Manage local member/donor base:
- Serve as primary contact and liaison for all inquiries, feedback and ideas
- Communicate with members about events, engagement opportunities and organizational successes
- Help current members become involved in the organization
- Oversee member acknowledgement and recognition activities
- Ensure current member satisfaction/retention through email, telephone, face-to-face meetings and thank you notes
- Lead strategy and serve as host for Step Up's member recruitment events including Open Houses, panels, breakfasts, shopping events and a signature fundraiser
- Coordinate with other regional staff to increase member involvement throughout the organization
- Engage members in leveraging their resources for corporate giving, in-kind donations and local public relations activities
- Manage and keep accurate records of Step Up member information in the database,
- Execute member welcome activities (emails, mailings) when new supporters join
- Manage a committee of volunteers in recruitment and retention of Step Up supporters
- Prepare a team to serve as Step Up ambassadors in the community and assist at events
- Engage a team in recruiting and growing Step Up's member, donor & volunteer base
- Set target goals and oversee outreach activities
- Manage and keep accurate records of Step Up member information in the database including contact updates, events attended, conversations, customer service inquiries
- Communicate with, and activate memberships of, Step Up alumnae once they graduate from high school and become Step Up members
- Analyze past performance and set yearly membership goals
- Track and manage all data related to membership conversion at events
- Track and manage monthly and yearly membership revenue goals
- Assist Board members with the recruitment and retention of key donors
- Create and implement strategy for increased giving among current members
- Serve as primary contact for member involvement in teen conferences and mentoring events
Event Development & Management
- Assist in designing programming for Step Up branded events
- Work with Managing Director as needed to secure, prepare, and manage relationships with high-level speakers for Step Up events
- Ensure member recruitment and retention is an intention at all events
- Manage an event volunteer team focusing on recruitment that engages members and guests
- Manage the execution of a Step Up information station at appropriate events
- Participate in strategic planning through national staff meetings with the other offices
- Perform periodic program evaluation to improve and innovate
- Secure Step Up alumnae to speak at member events
- Assist in planning for and executing Step Up's annual signature fundraiser
- Manage portfolio of prospective new members and supporters including cultivation and acquisition activities
- Develop and execute strategies for existing member renewals and upgrades
- Collaborate with national team of staff members to devise and execute best practices and strategies for member & donor retention
- Solicit and manage corporate memberships and donations including in-person presentations to prospective companies
- Facilitate matching gift processes for members and their corporations
- Assist Managing Director in soliciting sponsorship of member events and Step Up's annual signature fundraiser
- Assist the local Board of Directors with the recruitment and retention of key donors
- Execute and manage the donor/member acknowledgement activities.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, monthly national staff meetings and an annual staff retreat
- Enter all memberships, renewals and upgrades into the database and prepare weekly/monthly reports and queries as requested by the Managing Director and National staff.
- Support the administrative needs of the Managing Director where it pertains to member programs
- Provide excellent customer service support with all members and prospective member questions and issues. General office support when needed
- Contribute to Step Up's monthly e-newsletter
- Contribute to other marketing communications including network eblasts, Twitter feed, Facebook page, Instagram feed, and website content
- Assist the Managing Director with preparation for Board Meetings, including but not limited to membership progress
- Recruit, train and supervise membership intern
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Education: BA or Master's degree in related field
- Five years of work experience
- Self-starter, fast-learner, and adaptable professional who works well independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent relationship-building and networking skills
- Proven success in fundraising/sales/membership acquisitions
- Creativity in proposing new ideas and programs
- Strong public speaking skills
- Program planning and implementation experience
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail and ability to deliver quality, professional work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
- High level of organization and professionalism
- Ability to work well with multiple constituencies (staff, member leaders and volunteers, board members, senior level executives, sponsors, teens, community leaders and donors)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Passion for issues pertaining to women and teen girls
This is a full-time salaried position with medical, dental and vision insurance benefits. Salary commensurate with experience. All full-time employees qualify for paid time off including vacation, sick and all national holidays.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to the attention of Amanda Pesqueira, Executive Assistant (national office) at email@example.com. Please note: this position is open in Chicago and New York so please identify which city you're applying for in the subject line of your email. Application deadline is March 15, 2014.
As an addendum, please provide answers to the following. Only applicants who provide answers to these questions will be considered for the position.
- Step Up offers a variety of different giving levels with price and benefit differentiation at each. In an effort to maximize our donations and impact, we are committed to moving members up to a higher level, specifically targeting growth in our top "Luminary" level of $1,000 (a major gift). Please give an example or your past experience cultivating donors to make a larger gift and/or give two or three suggestions for tactics you would employ to steward a member who is a prospect to increase her membership level or make an additional/larger donation to Step Up.
- Give an example of a time when you had to sell an idea, concept or service to a business or company. It can be for either a cash or in-kind gift.. How did you approach the situation? What tactics did you employ? What were some of your challenges? And what was the result?
No phone calls please. We will contact all candidates that we wish to interview.